We’ve been working for the past couple of months to update the bathrooms in our house. We started with the simplest update: replacing a pedestal sink with a small IKEA cabinet. We also repainted, updated the lighting, and hung new art & a mirror.
First of all: we’re really bad at taking “before” photos for some reason and it’s not like we had a lot of random photos of our bathrooms, anyway. So there’s not much to show for that. This bathroom never had any storage and our previous clunky attempts at adding some never really solved that issue. So, the main update was to remove the builder-grade pedestal sink and to replace this with a cabinet.
We got a small cabinet with two drawers along with sink & faucet from IKEA. Their Hemnes cabinets have full-depth drawers. This is accomplished by a very shallow sink and a drain that has a couple of hard 90° bends to go behind the drawers. Also, this requires that the shut-off values and drain connection extend less than 4″ from the wall. Fortunately, we didn’t have to make any changes to the plumbing connections for this to fit. We did shift the center of the sink away from the wall, so as to not crowd the cabinet into the corner. This gives it more of a “furniture” look, which was the aesthetic we were shooting for (with the Euro-style open base and all). One piece of advice if you choose to do this: give yourself a few inches to paint the wall beside the cabinet. Otherwise, you’ll have to call on your skinny-armed child to come do that and they might not be the best painting labor.
The lighting also needed to move over to be centered on the newly placed sink. The wall box for the lighting was attached to a stud which was right where I need to place the light. So we opted for a light with a larger wall covering. I simply cut a new hole in the mounting plate and wired through that.
The mirror was one we had previously used in another bathroom but would match the white on gray color scheme here. My daughter painted a scene from the movie Spirited Away and I decided to make a frame for it. I got some poplar 1x2 from the big box hardware store. Poplar is a fairly fast growing and therefore cheap hardwood and would be a lost cost, low risk way to practice making a frame. I used a “floating” frame technique by cutting a rabbet along the inside, which gives the painting the appearance of floating (well, a bit of a shadow line anyway). I also got a frame band clamp to help keep the frame together. I had to build in an internal frame of scrap plywood pieces, as the paining wasn’t on a canvas but rather a board. I use whatever white rattle can spray paints I had to cover the frame, which didn’t turn out so well. But the frame was mostly square with tight miter joints!
We painting the bathroom a nice gray (which we’ve now used in all our bathrooms). The whole room feels much larger, even with the cabinet as there is no longer a tower of cubbies for awkward storage next to the toilet. And those drawers hold even more!