Well, it’s been two weeks since I last did this, so I should have plenty of fun things, right? I’ve been soon busy with work and house stuff, I’m not sure…
- Watching “Waiting for Godot.” After being publicly shamed, I figured I’d better see what all the fuss is about. I tried to watch a taped version of the play on Google Video, but it was really poor quality (in all the ways it can be). However, the ”
Beckett on Film” version I rented from Netflix was very enjoyable. I found myself actually laughing allowed at some of the very dry humor (at least it was dry in this interpretation).
- Big budget, summer blockbuster movies. Pirates 3 didn’t make any sense plot-wise, but was fun. It seems like everybody’s favorite part was the surrealist Davy-Jones’ Locker scene. A lot of that comes from Johnny Depp’s charm in the films but director Gore Verbinski deserves a lot of credit for putting a very odd scene in a blockbuster film. Here’s hoping Transformers is equally entertaining.
- Angela and I finished up watching “Freaks And Geeks,” the short-lived 1999 television show by Paul Feig and Judd Apatow. The show’s 18 episodes are consistently good both in writing and acting. We just got the first disc of Apatow’s follow-up show “Undeclared” and are looking forward to seeing Knocked Up soon.
- Speaking of television, I’ve been watching some episodes of ABC’s “Notes From the Underbelly” at their website. Apparently loosely based on a novel of the same name, the pilot episode was terrific and subsequent episodes have been fairly good, although not great. The humor hits home, though, as it does it’s best when making fun of neurotic first-time parents-to-be like Angela and I. Surprisingly (mainly just because I like it), the show will be back next season.
- And finally, something not related to film or television, we’ve been really enjoying getting baby stuff together. We finished up most of the nursery for our little girl and on top of that, people have been sending us all sorts of cool baby stuff. We really appreciate all the kindness and help (keep it coming, good people!). It’d be silly to say I was enjoying that a lot. We’re having our first baby shower tomorrow and it should be a hoot.